Centre for Green and Sustainable Chemical Sciences is working at modern research on the design, manufacture, environmentally benign chemical products that prevent pollution and reduce environmental and human health risks. It seeks to develop new cleaner chemical processes to replace environmentally unacceptable methods, apply innovative catalyst technology to established industrial processes, reduce waste through increased reagent and solvent efficiency, develop environmentally acceptable routes to important organic products and design new environmentally friendly materials including those based on renewable resources. In working towards these goals, the Center runs networks in green chemistry, develops new educational material in Green Chemistry and promotes the general concepts of clean technology towards an improved public understanding of science in the region. Centre for Green and Sustainable Chemical Sciences is doing research on following areas.
- Climate Change & Carbon Capture and Storage
- Green Solvents and their applications
- Cleaner Production and Zero liquid discharge
- Energy Efficiency and Renewable Technologies
- Biofuel and Biochemical
Dr. Abdul Waheed Bhutto
Dr Abdul Waheed Bhutto is a Professor and dean of faculty of Engineering, Dawood University of Engineering & Technology, Karachi. He did his PhD from Mehran University of Engineering and Technology, Jamshoro. He is concentrating his efforts on improving the efficiency of processes for biofuel production from lignocellulosic material. His research work has focused on alternative energy sources for sustainable development. He is an author of more than 40 SCI research papers.
Dr Rashid Abro is an associate Professor and Chairman Department of Chemical Engineering, Dawood University of Engineering and Technology, Karachi.He also worked as a Chemical Engineer at the Pakistan Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (PCSIR) in Pakistan. He did his PhD at Beijing University of Chemical Technology under the supervision of Dr Xiaochun Chen and Dr. Guangren Yu, who lead one of the top ionic liquid research group in China. Dr. Abro’s PhD research focused on the applications of ionic liquids for production of clean fuels. He has published more than 20 research articles in SCI journals.
Dr. Shaukat Ali Mazari is an Assistant Professor of Chemical Engineering at Dawood University of Engineering and Technology, Karachi Pakistan. He received his doctorate in chemical engineering from University of Malaya (UM), Kuala Lumpur Malaysia, specializing in separation and purification processes. His research manly focuses on sustainable growth, specifically he works on development of Carbon Capture technologies and Conversion of Biomass into Fuels and Chemicals targeting the reduction in fossil fuels usage leading to mitigation of Climate Change. He has authored and coauthored several research articles in reputed Science Citation Indexed Journals like International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control, Sustainable and Renewable Energy Reviews, Industrial Engineering and Chemistry Research, Fluid Phase Equilibria, The Canadian Journal of Chemical Engineering, Chemistry Central Journal, Current Organic Chemistry and others. He is also reviewer of Top SCI Journals like Chemical Technology, Chemical Engineering and Research Design and others. Considering his administrative and leadership skills, he is also given the additional charge of Director Quality Enhancement Cell (QEC) at DUET.
Dr. Ghullam Mujtaba is an Assistant Professor of Energy and Environmental Engineering at Dawood University of Engineering and Technology, Karachi Pakistan. He received his doctorate in Environmental Engineering and Energy from Myongji University (South Korea). His research manly focuses on Solid Waste Management, Wastewater Treatment and Bioenergy. He has authored and coauthored several research articles in reputed Science Citation Indexed Journals like Bioresource Technology, Sustainable and Renewable Energy Reviews, Industrial Engineering and Chemistry Research, Biotechnology and Bioprocess Engineering, Applied Chemistry for Engineering, Korean Chemical Engineering Research and Water Research. Considering his administrative and leadership skills, he is also given the additional charge of Director ORIC at DUET.
Top Publications of members of this group
- An overview of effect of process parameters on hydrothermal carbonization of biomass. S Nizamuddin, HA Baloch, GJ Griffin, NM Mubarak, AW Bhutto, R Abro. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 73, 1289-1299, 2017.
- Forecasting the consumption of gasoline in transport sector in pakistan based on ARIMA model. AW Bhutto, AA Bazmi, K Qureshi, K Harijan, S Karim, MS Ahmad. Environmental Progress & Sustainable Energy, 2017.
- Insight into progress in pre-treatment of lignocellulosic biomass. AW Bhutto, K Qureshi, K Harijan, R Abro, T Abbas, AA Bazmi, S Karim. Energy, 2017.
- Parametric study of pyrolysis and steam gasification of rice straw in presence of K2CO3. HA Baloch, T Yang, H Sun, J Li, S Nizamuddin, R Li, Z Kou, Y Sun. Korean Journal of Chemical Engineering 33 (9), 2567-2574,2016.
- Extractive Denitrogenation of Fuel using Ionic Liquids: Review R Abro, M Abro, S Gao, AW Bhutto, ZM Ali, A Shah, XCG Yu. RSC Advances, 2016.
- Innovative method to prepare a stable emulsion liquid membrane for high CO2 absorption and its performance Evaluation for a natural gas feed in a rotating disk. ML Inamullah Bhatti, Khadija Qureshi, Khairul Sozana Nor Kamarudin, Aqeel. Journal of Natural Gas Science and Engineering, 2016.
- Hydrodynamics Study of the Modified Rotating Disc Contactor for CO2 Absorption from Natural Gas Using Emulsion Liquid Membrane. I Bhatti, AW Bhutto, K Qureshi, KSN Kamarudin, AA Bazmi, F Ahmad.Chemical Engineering Research and Design,2016.
- N-methyl-2-pyrrolidonium-based Brönsted-Lewis acidic ionic liquids as catalysts for the hydrolysis of cellulose. Z Zhao, N Li, AW Bhutto, AA Abdeltawab, SS Al-Deyab, G Liu, X Chen, SCIENCE CHINA Chemistry 59 (5), 564-570,2016.
- Progress in production of biomass-to-liquid biofuels to decarbonize transport sector- Prospectus and challenges. AW Bhutto, K Qurashi, R Abro, K Harijan, Z Zhao, AA Bazmi, T Abbas, RSC Advances, 2016.
- Oxidative desulfurization of fuel oils using ionic liquids: A review. AW Bhutto, R Abro, S Gao, T Abbas, X Chen, G Yu. Journal of the Taiwan Institute of Chemical Engineers, 2016
- Students’ Responses to Improve Environmental Sustainability Through Recycling: Quantitatively Improving Qualitative Model. MS Ahmad, AA Bazmi, AW Bhutto, K Shahzadi, N Bukhari. Applied Research in Quality of Life 11 (1), 253-270, 2016.
- Desulphurization of Fuel Oils Using Ionic Liquids. AW Bhutto, R Abro, T Abbas, G Yu, X Chen. Petrochemical Catalyst Materials, Processes, and Emerging Technologies, 254-284, 2016.
- Parametric study of co-gasification of ternary blends of rice straw, polyethylene and polyvinylchloride. HA Baloch, T Yang, R Li, S Nizamuddin, X Kai, AW Bhutto. Clean Techn Environ Policy,2016.
- Hydrothermal carbonization of oil palm shell. S Nizamuddin, NS Jayakumar, JN Sahu, P Ganesan, AW Bhutto,
- Korean Journal of Chemical Engineering, 2015.
- Perspectives for the production of ethanol from lignocellulosic feedstock-A case study, AW Bhutto, K Harijan, K Qureshi, AA Bazmi, A Bahadori, Journal of Cleaner Production 95, 184–193, 2015.
- Greener energy: Issues and challenges for Pakistan-geothermal energy prospective.T Abbas, AA Bazmi, AW Bhutto, G Zahedi.Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 31, 258-269, 2014.
- A Review of Progress in Renewable Energy Implementation in the Gulf Cooperation Council Countries. Abdul Waheed Bhutto, Aqeel Ahmed Bazmi, Gholamreza Zahedi, Jiří Jaromír Klemeš. Journal of Cleaner Production 71 (15 May 2014), 168–180, 2014.
- Strategy for consolidation of biologically mediated events in conversion of pre-treated lignocellulose into ethanol. AW Bhutto, K Quraishi, K Harijan, G Zahedi, A Bahadori, RSC Advances 4, 3392-3412, 2014.
- Greener energy: Issues and challenges for Pakistan—wind power prospective. AW Bhutto, AA Bazmi, G Zahedi. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 20, 519-538, 2013.
- Underground coal gasification: From fundamentals to applications. AW Bhutto, AA Bazmi, G Zahedi. Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 39 (1), 189-214
- Greener energy: issues and challenges for Pakistan—solar energy prospective. AW Bhutto, AA Bazmi, G Zahedi. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 16 (5), 2762-2780, 2012.
- Greener energy: Issues and challenges for Pakistan-hydel power prospective. AW Bhutto, AA Bazmi, G Zahedi
- Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 16 (5), 2732-2746, 2012.
- The Environmental Impacts in Industrialization. Gholamreza Zahedi, Aqeel Ahmed Bazmi, Abdul Waheed Bhutto
- Advances in Environmental Research. 20, 147-162, 2012.
- Greener energy: Issues and challenges for Pakistan—Biomass energy prospective. AW Bhutto, AA Bazmi, G Zahedi, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 15 (6), 3207-3219, 2011.
- A review of extractive desulfurization of fuel oils using ionic liquids. R Abro, AA Abdeltawab, SS Al-Deyab, G Yu, AB Qazi, S Gao, X Chen. Rsc Advances 4 (67), 35302-35317, 2014.
- Desulfurization of fuel oil: Conductor-like Screening Model for Real Solvents study on capacity of ionic liquids for thiophene and dibenzothiophene. S Gao, X Chen, R Abro, AA Abdeltawab, SS Al-Deyab, G Yu. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research 54 (38), 9421-9430, 2015.
- Desulfurization of fuel oils: mutual solubility of ionic liquids and fuel oil. S Gao, G Yu, R Abro, AA Abdeltawab, SS Al-Deyab, X Chen. Fuel 173, 164-171, 2016.
- A comparative study of recycling of used engine oil using extraction by composite solvent, single solvent, and acid treatment methods. R Abro, X Chen, K Harijan, ZA Dhakan, M Ammar. ISRN Chemical Engineering 2013, 2013.
- Oxidative Desulfurization of Gasoline by Ionic Liquids Coupled with Extraction by Organic Solvents. R Abro, S Gao, X Chen, G Yu, AA Abdeltawab, SS Al-Deyab. Journal of the Brazilian Chemical Society 27 (6), 998-1006, 2016.
- Carbon material optimized biocathode for improving microbial fuel cell performance. H Tursun, R Liu, J Li, R Abro, X Wang, Y Gao, Y Li. Frontiers in microbiology 7. 2016.
- Simplified calculation of solubility of solid solutes in supercritical carbon dioxide by EoS models. Sang, Y Wang, H Wang, R Abro, J Jin. Fluid Phase Equilibria 432, 54-61. 2017.
- Separation of propylene and propane by functional mixture of imidazolintum chloride ionic liquid–Organic solvent–Cuprous salt
- X Shen, R Abro, IA Alhumaydhi, AA Abdeltawab, AM Al-Enizi, X Chen, Separation and Purification Technology 175, 177-184, 2017.
- A New Versatile Tool for Isomerization: Synthesis and Characterization of Lanthanide Chloride Tridendate Schiff base Derivative. SU Hassan, F Kazmi, R Abro, M Ammar. Asian Journal of Chemistry 29 (6), 1194, 2017.
- Mutual solubility of acidic ionic liquid and model gasoline of n-octane+ 1-octene+ toluene. S Gao, X Chen, R Abro, Z Su, AA Abdeltawab, SS Al-Deyab, G Yu. Journal of the Taiwan Institute of Chemical Engineers 69, 78-84, 2016.
- An overview of solvent management and emissions of amine-based CO 2 capture technology. SA Mazari, BS Ali, BM Jan, IM Saeed, S Nizamuddin. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control 34, 129-140, 2015.
- Degradation study of piperazine, its blends and structural analogs for CO 2 capture: a review. SA Mazari, BS Ali, BM Jan, IM Saeed. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control 31, 214-228, 2014.
- Synthesis and characterization of hydrochars produced by hydrothermal carbonization of oil palm shell. S Nizamuddin, J Kumar, N Subramanian, JN Sahu, P Ganesan, The Canadian Journal of Chemical Engineering 93 (11), 1916-1921, 2015.
- Thermal degradation of piperazine and diethanolamine blend for CO 2 capture. SA Mazari, BS Ali, BM Jan, IM Saeed. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control 47, 1-7. 2016.
- Effect of piperazine on solubility of carbon dioxide using aqueous diethanolamni. L Ghalib, BS Ali, WM Ashri, S Mazari. Fluid Phase Equilibria 414, 1-13, 2016.
- Thermal degradation of aqueous 2-aminoethylethanolamine in CO2 capture; identification of degradation products, reaction mechanisms and computational studies. IM Saeed, VS Lee, SA Mazari, BS Ali, WJ Basirun, A Asghar, L Ghalib, Chemistry Central Journal 11 (1), 10, 2017.
- Effect of Adsorption and Passivation Phenomena on the Electrochemical Oxidation of Phenol and 2-Chlorophenol at Carbon Black Diamond Composite Electrode. MA Ajeel, MK Aroua, WMAW Daud, SA Mazari, Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research 56 (6), 1652-1660, 2017.
- An optimisation study for catalytic hydrolysis of oil palm shell using response surface methodology. N Sabzoi, EK Yong, NS Jayakumar, JN Sahu, P Ganesan, NM Mubarak, Journal of Oil Palm Research 27 (4), 339-351, 2015.
- Modeling the effect of piperazine on CO 2 loading in MDEA/PZ mixture, L Ghalib, BS Ali, WM Ashri, S Mazari, IM Saeed. Fluid Phase Equilibria 434, 233-243, 2017.
- Modeling the Effect of Piperazine on Carbon Steel Corrosion Rate in Carbonated Activated MDEA Solutions L Ghalib, BS Ali, S Mazari, WM Ashri, IM SaeedInt. J. Electrochem. Sci 11, 4560-4585, 2016.
- Mechanistic Model for prediction of corrosion rate in aqueous carbonated solution of activated Methyldiethanolamine. L Ghaliba, BS Alia, WM Ashri, S Mazaria. International Journal 6 (6), 2015.
- Lipid production by Chlorella vulgaris after a shift from nutrient-rich to nitrogen starvation conditions. G Mujtaba, W Choi, CG Lee, K Lee. Bioresource technology 123, 279-283. 2012.
- Environmental stress strategies for stimulating lipid production from microalgae for biodiesel. G Kim, G Mujtaba, M Rizwan, K Lee. Appl Chem Eng 25 (25), 553-558, 2014.
- Advanced treatment of wastewater using symbiotic co-culture of microalgae and bacteria. G Mujtaba, K Lee Applied Chemistry for Engineering 27 (1), 1-9, 2016.
- Removal of nutrients and COD from wastewater using symbiotic co-culture of bacterium Pseudomonas putida and immobilized microalga Chlorella vulgaris. G Mujtaba, M Rizwan, K Lee. Journal of Industrial and Engineering Chemistry 49, 145-151, 2017.
- Treatment of real wastewater using co-culture of immobilized Chlorella vulgaris and suspended activated sludge. G Mujtaba, K Lee. Water Research 120, 174-184, 2017.
- Simultaneous removal of inorganic nutrients and organic carbon by symbiotic co-culture of Chlorella vulgaris and Pseudomonas putid. G Mujtaba, M Rizwan, K Lee. Biotechnology and Bioprocess Engineering: BBE 20 (6), 1114, 2015.
- Effects of nitrogen sources on cell growth and biochemical composition of marine chlorophyte Tetraselmis sp. for lipid production. G Kim, G Mujtaba, K Lee. Algae 31 (3), 257-266, 2016.
- Effects of iron sources on the growth and lipid/carbohydrate production of marine microalga Dunaliella tertiolecta M Rizwan, G Mujtaba, K Lee. Biotechnology and Bioprocess Engineering 22 (1), 68-75, 2017.
- Effect of multiple stress factors including iron supply on cell growth and lipid accumulation in marine microalga Dunaliella tertiolecta. M Rizwan, G Mujtaba, K Lee. Applied Chemistry for Engineering 28 (3), 306-312, 2017.
- Chitosan as a Flocculant: An Approach to Improve its Solubility for Efficient Harvesting of Microalgae. A Sajjad, M Rizwan, G Mujtaba, N Rashid. Korean Chemical Engineering Research 55 (4), 530-534.